Monday, November 9, 2009

Brazilian Student Wears Short Dress to Classes, Gets Heckled and Then Expelled.

A 20-year-old Brazilian university student was heckled by her fellow students and then expelled by the university after wearing a short dress to class.  I heard that a school uniform might be required at the university but the attached article does not mention this fact.  I had to wear a school uniform when I was a young kid and if you didn't wear it, you were sent home, not expelled (not sure if the rules have changed since then or is different in other countries).  The university released a statement saying the student "disrespected 'ethical principles, academic dignity and morality'."  That's a pretty heavy-duty cross to bear for a female who merely wore a short dress. 

Sexism is alive and well in all parts of the world.  As a traveler, it's not that I needed this story to prove that. For instance, I don't know if I'd ever go back to Zanzibar after 2 men tried to physically accost me there (one per day on the island).  I was walking in broad daylight, modestly attired, about one building's length away from my hotel.  I think the message I was being given was that if I didn't want people to treat me like a "whore" then I should be walking with a man like all "non-whores".

When women "get out of line" like this university student did (sarcasm) isn't it good to know there are moralizers - like the heckling students at this university, the university, itself, and the 2 men in Zanzibar - who make sure we women get "back in line".   I might have to do a few more posts about what is considered to be cultural norms about women's clothing.  Would love your comments:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/08/geisy-arruda-brazil-stude_n_350217.html

No comments:

Post a Comment